Department of Public Safety/Division Juvenile Justice
119 Justice Drive Suite 12
Winston, NC 27986
The mission of the Department of Public Safety is to improve the quality of life of North Carolinians by reducing crime and enhancing public safety. Within DPS, the mission of the Division of Juvenile Justice (DJJ) is to reduce and prevent juvenile delinquency by effectively intervening, educating, and treating youth in order to strengthen families and increase public safety. In District 6, DJJ collaborates with community partners, including judges to determine and provide the right program for each youth, provide accurate assessment and effective treatment of youth, and prevent youths from entering, or further involvement in, the juvenile justice system.
Reclaiming Futures District 6 covers Bertie, Halifax, Hertford, and Northampton Counties. We are implementing the Reclaiming Futures model by using local leadership that is driven by our district court judges. District 6 utilizes the collaborative efforts between our MCO, treatment providers, community advocates as well as JCPC funded agencies. We are working to improve the quality of life for our youth and families within their communities through alcohol and drug treatment services available to youth.
We plan to do the following:
- Monitor the ability to increase the availability of both treatment and “beyond treatment” services in our community.
- Improve treatment services for adolescent drug and alcohol use.
- Monitor the number and types of pro-social resources available to support our youths and how often we are able to match youths appropriately.
- Create a comprehensive system of care that coordinates services for both youth and their families which will include prevention, education, intervention and treatment efforts.
- Involve the community in order to create new opportunities for youth and families.
Our Core Partners
- Choanoke Area Development Association (CADA)
- District 6 Court Judges
- District 6 Division of Juvenile Justice
- Integrated Family Services LLC
- RHA Behavioral Health Services
- Uplift & the Power of U
- JCPC Funded Agencies: (Methodist Home for Children, Second Chances Counts, Operation Restart, United Services Youth)
Kate B. Reynolds Charitable Trust and The Duke Endowment